Tuesday 8 October 2013

Wanted: a green thumb!



It is galling! Some things are growing wonderfully, other things are growing woefully. I mentioned the peas (honeypods) in my previous post. Still no solution that I know will work. I have changed the location of them (YEP, DUG 'EM UP) into a bed freshly composted and tilled. And freer from overcrowding. My beds will always be overcrowded, just the nature of this particular gardener. But the connundrum is that where they were, they were being crowded out by the beans. Yet peas and beans require similar conditions. So, some balance. The peas are a failure, but the beans are looking wonderful.
Some more learning required. Root vegetables are not my strong point. Twirly carrots, and probably twirly radish. The carrots taste okay, but look appalling. Another issue, of course, is that we are spoilt by 'perfection' at the greengrocer. I will plant some more carrot on Friday, not Thursday as it is predicted to be 40C. Need to till the soil to a deeper degree. More tilling and more compost. And no stones. If the precious root veggies hit a stone, they go around it. Hence, twirly.


The herbs and the tomatoes are healthy in the extreme. All the herbs are growing well, even the chives which had been limp and jaundiced, but are thriving with the added attention. I think, perhaps, I should have dedicated an entire garden bed to the tomatoes, their growth habit is virile! And the two smaller plants are awash with brackets of fruit. I just hope all the flowers are able to set fruit, Even the Grosse Lisse is setting fruit. Should be up to our armpits come Chrissie.

What to say about the zucchini? This one will be ready to eat come this weekend. And there are two more very similar. I want to read about fried zucchini flowers. Does it stunt the fruit if the flower is removed early?
think that one of the most galling things about gardening is that it is either feast or famine.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Good to see you posting again Julie. :)

Kay L. Davies said...

Ditto what Jim said. Great to see you blogging.
I once decided to fry squash blossoms, but the first blossom had insects in it, so I dropped the idea (and the blossom).
Too bad about your carrots not winning any beauty contests, but as long as they're tasty, that's great.
Luv, K