Wednesday 18 December 2013

If there's an empty space, fill it


I have been collecting succulents for a while now. Not sure how many I have, but enough to want to do something with them. I have snafooed a section of the veggie patch where all the meters are, but noiw have a way better idea. As Kirsten has pointed out, I am forever shifting the poor bloody plants when my pea-brain goes into over-drive.


Our fence is nearly complete. My son and a mate are erecting it, so we fit into that spare couple of hours. I think he has promised to finish it off this coming Saturday. What I had intended to do, was to establish a passionfruit vine along the fence, as it faces nor-east and gets good sun until about 2pm. However, the space between the fence and the concrete of the driveway is very narrow and we do not want the driveway obstructed at all. So, Kirsten had a brainwave. Why not create a series of vertical gardens.


So ... I am onto it!

Sourced from Google images
Here are some images that appeal to me. Chep wooden pallets would hold enough 'soil' but they may weigh more than the fence can manage. I do not know. If possible, I would like to shift my strawbs into a pallet garden, where they can spill to their heart's content, rather than, at the moment, spilling onto a footpath with all its dire consequences..
Sourced from Google images
I worry that the soil will tumble out, but I suppose if I put enough organic stuff in there it should hang in. I gather you leave the created structure in a horizontal position for a few weeks until it settles and the roots start to bind it all together.
Sourced from Google images
These 16mm terracotta standard pots look great, don't you think? I would get Alannah to paint them for me one at a time, using her favourite colours, the colours of the rainbow. And finally, there is the garden within a picture frame. I am forever seeing frames on the verge for cleanup days. Suppose I won't see another frame from here to kingdom come!
Sourced from Google images

6 comments:

head in the sun said...

Wow - that looks like fun!
I loooove succulents - especially the flowers they produce.
I was informed yesterday of a new garden section I can have in our tmba house down the side - a squeezy walkway. One of these would be great there.

head in the sun said...

You know what I was thinking?
Should you be careful growing strawberries in a pallet?
Don't they treat that wood with arsenic?

Julie said...

Ah, I do not know about pallets. They sure treat fences things with arsenic. I will ask my son about pallets, too. Or simply google it.

Who 'released' the walkway to your tender ministrations? Vince?

Julie said...

Ahh ... I have googled, and AM NOT CONVINCED THAT chep PALLETS ARE NOT CHEMICALLY TREATED. sO, SHALL NOT GROW STRAWBS IN ONE.

oops shouting ... sorry ... my eye/brain coordination is often wonky on my left.

head in the sun said...

Julie - the "men" are right outside my bedroom window laying paving as I type. We are living in my sister's other house at the moment (and maybe forever more - I just love it!). So my brother-in-law decided to leave me a little patch along the paving to play in.

Shout away - doesn't bother me. Vince has a wonky right eye - his pupils dilate independently of one another like railway crossing warning lights. He doesn't have any peripheral vision or much depth perception in it - so I often cop an elbow to the head (well, that's his excuse anyway).

Julie said...

Yes, I know about depth perception. Takes a couple of goes (??) to put the peg onto the line, or the key in the hole.