|When we moved in, just over a year ago, we quickly found that many of the windows did not work properly. Mainly in the second storey addition. Newer one might have supposed. Quality of work, and all that. Whinge, whinge.|
Some windows were wedged shut, from paint we presumed. Cannot think of any where we were able to lower the top frame to facilitate the flow of air. Yes, we could have opened the bottom, but it seemed weekly that a toddler was toppling out of half opened windows on upper floors. Some windows would not open because the pane could not hold itself up. And the bathroom window upstairs was quickly hanging precariously.
|But how to rectify the issues. Choices. We could replace all windows with new aluminium slide windows. We could just replace the worst windows. Or we could get a tradesman in to repair, replace, renovate in sympathy with the original styling. The first and last choices would cost about the same. But the chances of getting off-the-rack frames to fit 1941 windows was not high. We went with the tradie.|
|Actually, we went with a bloke called Darren from down The Shire way. Shouldn't call him a bloke, really, but a laddie. Kirsten googled for a carpenter to repair sash windows, and her trawl netted two possibles, neither cheap. She went with Old School Carpentry, a sole trader, and window artisan, hailing from Scotland in 2001. He really is quite brilliant to have around. Cheery. Jovial. Thorough. Clean. Professional.|
|He is into his second week, and is still working on the top floor. Nearly every window has to be repaired. It will cost arms'n'legs, but will add to the value of the property, provide peace of mind, and enable us to better regulate the flow of air and temperature on both levels. Meaning that it will reinforce the value from the gas heater AND from the awnings. Brilliant.|
It will mean, however, that we have to do some painting this year. Darren provides a top-coat only. I am currently hunting around for a good quality, long-handled, spider-web broom.