Friday 7 February 2014

When is a watermelon mature?

You tap watermelons a bit in the way that you tap cavity walls to determine where the joists are, except in a ying-yang relationship. For joists I look for the presence of fullness. For watermelons, I look for the presence of hollowness. And I have no idea why. And it failed me anyhow.

This melon tapped hollow, for two weeks it tapped hollow, it was a good solid green. It was small though. I cut its cord and sliced it. Part of the under-belly was still an anaemic beige, There was no crystallisation, but there were mature seeds. It probably needed another four weeks on the vine. And lots more feeding. Lots more. Next time I should pay more attention to the wizening of the cord. If there is a next time.

I ate some, but the flavour was "blah".

No comments: